09 October 2011

Mother of the Year...


I promise I'm not angry at the world right now. I have just had one of those weeks where tons of random crappy stuff happens. I know you know what I'm talking about.

Have you or your kids had the spray flu vaccine? I haven't had it, but this year Asher's doctor recommended it for him. I thought it was a great alternative to the shot. Well, curse me for being an uneducated mother of a patient because I found out later it is a live virus and there is a higher chance of having a reaction. And boy did he react. Yesterday at Costco his nose started running like a faucet. And he kept saying his legs hurt. I thought it was the cart hurting his legs so I put him in the big part of the cart. He didn't say anything else about it so I totally forgot about it. Then as soon as we got home he went straight to his room and laid on the floor. The boy never voluntarily goes to bed so that was a little strange. I put him in his bed and turned of the light so he could take a nap. Then about an hour later he woke up screaming bloody murder about his legs hurting. When I picked him up he was super hot. Obviously the kid was burning up with fever. So, I gave him some Tylenol and took his temp. Before the night was over he was at 103.6 degrees. What the crap?! I threw the kid in a cool bath (much to his displeasure) and applied cool compresses, etc. If it got any higher I decided he needed to go to the ER. Well, luckily I got it down to 101 before he went to bed. He got to Skype with his dad which calmed him down a lot, but I've never seen him so miserable. And the kid broke his leg last year so I've seen him uncomfortable, but this was ridiculous.

I woke him up at night to give him more Tylenol and take his temp which had dropped to 100. He has hovered between 100 and 101 today so I'm not super worried. Obviously if it starts going up again I will take him in. I just avoid the ER at all costs. All ERs are a nightmare I'm sure, but the one on the Army base is nothing like I've ever experienced. Kinda reminds me of the hospital in the show ER. But, that's a separate post.

I wanted to vent about what a nightmare the last 24 hours have been, but also let people know that the spray comes with it's risks. So, unlike what I did, please know what you could be getting into before you get into it.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Poor guy. My boys had it last year with no reactions. Poor Asher. Also, I took my son to the ER once with a 105.1 fever a few years ago and they were like "eh, no big deal" so I would skip the ER. And in my experience motrin or advil works better on fevers. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!

ecuakim said...

Oh I'm so sorry he's been so miserable. I've been avoiding vaccinations since Clark was 2 years old. I think he'll probably have to get some next week, but I am so nervous about it. Also, word to the wise: Tylenol may interfere with the liver's ability to process toxins associated with the vaccines. (kids who have autism then get the double whammy of not being able to process other toxins, plus the ones from the vaccines. It may be why there can be a noticeable loss of milestones, like speech, etc. after the administration of a vaccine.) Motrin is a good alternative. Love you.

Liz said...

Yeah, don't worry about the ER unless ibuprofen or tylenol and sponge baths won't keep the fever down. I usually put in a call to the pediatrician's office first, you can usually get the on-call doc after hours. And yes, the spray vaccine is a weakened, live virus, Emma had it a few years ago, no problems though. Sorry Asher got so sick!

As for Tylenol and toxins and vaccines? I'd like to see the research. There is a lot of voodoo science on vaccines, especially related to autism. Please be careful what you read.